
Myself as a reader
Some of my earliest memories of reading take place at our city library. In the summers, my mom would take me and my sisters to check out books for the summer reading program. I would browse the young adult section, looking for the books with cool looking covers (yup, I always did that!). I would spend hours in my house, devouring the stack that I brought home, eager to fill out my reading chart and move on to the next book. I got hooked on the "American Girl" series, and read all of the "Felicity" books. Unbeknown to me at the time, I was reading historical fiction, and really enjoying it!
I continued my love of reading through middle and high school, always carrying a book around with me, reading in every spare moment of my day. It was so bad some days, I would go through an entire hour without remembering a thing my teacher said because I was so engrossed in my book. In hindsight, this probably wasn't a good way to get better at math, but I have carried with me that same devotion to books to this day.
As an adult, I decided to use my affinity for books to guide my career choice- deciding to pursue English Education at the University of Missouri. Since my early reading days, I have broadened the genres that I choose to read, and have joined a book club so that I have an outlet for discussing good books. I have now added "children's literature" to my book list, and I hope to pass on this love of reading to my daughter.
1 comment:
I do not really remember how or when i learned english but i kind of do. I remember that sometimes i would get real confused. But i kind of started to learn it when i would watch cartoons in english. When i read books i really dont care if they are in english or spanish but i kindof perfer to read in english since i have been reading it for so long and know i am mor used to it.... and i think that that "Annies baby" book sounds really intresting or another book that is kind of like "The Lost Boy" because it is a really good book!
Post a Comment